15 March 2018
It is my pleasure to call for entries for our exciting upcoming bush experience and hunting opportunity for our junior members in the Pongola Game Reserve made available by Karel Landman from Pongola Game Reserve.
This popular hunt will take place during the upcoming school holiday from 2 to 5 April 2018. As always, it promises to be a lot of fun and excitement and is aimed at all Juniors age 12 – 17 years. The cost is R1000 per junior and is all inclusive.
More details for your information as follows:
Date: 2 to 5 April 2018 (3 nights)
- Venue: Pongola Game Reserve – Sondaba Hunting Camp
- Cost: R1,000 per junior hunter
- Preference will be given to Juniors who have completed and passed KZN Hunters Junior Hunters Course
- Accommodation: Sponsored by the Karel Landman Trust
- Minimum age of hunter: 12 years
- Each junior hunter can shoot a non-trophy warthog – meat to remain the property of the farm
- Accommodation is self-catering and sleeps a maximum of 12 people
- We can accommodate 9 junior hunters
- Regrettably transport is not provided to and from the venue. We may be able to arrange some sort of lift club between parents
- Other animals are available for hunting at your own cost. This is limited to one animal per hunter therefore all participants will have a fair chance to hunt and the
cost of these additional animals will need to be paid directly to the office. A pricelist will be provided
During this course the following modules will be presented:
- What is a Sportsman?
- The role of the Hunter as Conservationist
- Ethics for the Hunter
- Hunter’s Code of Conduct
- Game on the farm
- Safety with Firearms
- The Ten Commandments of Firearm Safety
- Preparing for a Hunt
- Hunting Equipment
- Firearm Care and Maintenance
- Knife Care
- Hunting Methods
- Tracking Techniques
- Survival Notes
- Hints for the Young Shot
- Bullet Placement
- Skinning methods and Treatment of Hunting Trophies in the veld
- Animal Feed Preference
My aim is to get each hunter to hunt and harvest a warthog over the period of the camp.
- It is required that each hunter is competent in handling a hunting rifle. A standard shooting test will need to be passed by all hunters on site to qualify to hunt.
- All rifles will be fitted with sound moderators/silencers to reduce the sound of gunshots in the reserve.
- As the camp sleeps only 12 people, we have limited space available, thus first paid, first confirmed basis!
Please contact Willem De Valence at 084 270 8343 or at email@example.com for more information and to confirm your participation of this exciting opportunity.
Please bear in mind that we have had regular great turnouts from juniors in the past during school holidays and urge you to RSVP your participation soonest. Final information will be made available upon confirmation. Unfortunately due to the nature of this course, we can only accommodate 9 participants. Hence we will accommodate the first 9 people who pay their training fee of R1,000 to the following bank account:
|Name of the account :||KZN Hunting & Conservation|
|Bank:||First National Bank – Pinetown|
|Account number :||58880792280|
|Reference to use :||Junior Hunters & your name|
The cost of the course includes all accommodation, catering, the use of firearms and ammunition and course material.
Below is a list of items that participants need to bring to the course:
- Knife (no expensive knives)
- Personal toiletries
- Medication (if on medication)
- Sun protection (hat and sunscreen)
- Walking shoes
- Jacket and rain coat
- Mosquito and tick protection
- Pen and notebook
- Binocular (if possible)
I look forward to welcoming you to the course.
Willem De Valence
Executive Committee Member
KZN Hunting Shooting and Conservation Association