- 2 tbs cooking oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 14 lamb neck chops
- 250g bacon, diced
- 16 small potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 small cabbage, cut in 8 pieces
- dash of lemon juice with 500ml water
- dash of mixed herbs
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium-size potjie, then fry the onions, bacon and lamb chops for about ½ hour, stirring from time to time. Cover with lid and leave to cook for about 45 minutes.
- Open pot, stir, then add layer of potatoes, finishing off with the cabbage. Add the water/lemon juice mixture, herbs and spices. (Don’t stir yet)
- Cover with lid and cook for about another 2 hours slowly over medium coals; check if there’s enough water after a while, and add more if necessary.
- Stir through ; the meat should fall off the bones.