Important Guidelines

Home » Hunting » Important Guidelines

Tel: 031-7093904
Fax: 031-7093914
SAPS Accreditation Certificate Number: 1300024 NPO 008-257


SUGGESTED GUIDELINES FOR LANDOWNERS, MANAGERS & HUNTERSHunting on private land is often a new experience for the hunters, as well as the landowner and/or his manager.

In our ongoing efforts to promote ethical hunting on a sustainable basis and also as a source of income for landowners, we have compiled the following proposed guidelines to be used.

We recommend you establish the following prior to your hunt:
* The Landowner has a permit for the game you are hunting
* Request the permit number.
* When hunting a trophy, establish whether the price you are paying includes the meat.
* That you are in possession of the correct hunting licences.

Calibers when hunting in KZN:

Dangerous game: .375 H&H Win Mag
Small game i.e. impala, duiker, steenbuck, etc .243 upwards
Medium game: com reedbuck, bushbuck etc., .270 upwards
Large game i.e. nyala, kudu, blue wildebeest .30 caliber e.g .303, 308 and 30.06

Hunting Licences(Schedule attached) Ensure the hunter possesses the necessary game license, before hunting takes place. No license, no hunting Purchase all required game licenses for the species to be hunted at our office, Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife or a gun shop.No license, no hunting!

Ensure that the farmer possesses the necessary permit for animals listed on TOPS regulations. Refer to section re licences / permits

Pre-requisites, eg Proficiency Grading, etc. Advise hunter in advance that he/she has to provide proof of whatever pre-requisites you might have, eg proficiency grading,hunting association membership, etc.

Get hunter to complete Indemnity forms

Ascertain beforehand if there are any pre-requisites and ensure to take your membership card or other documentation with if necessary.
Prices Ascertain (always in writing) the prices and whether it includes or exclude VAT.This would cover all costs, including the day fees, accommodation, pricing structure of the animals hunted (per kg. dressed/per unit), missed shots, wounded animals, skinning, use of vehicle, cold room, firewood, etc.

Does the accommodation fee include hunting fee.

Accommodation Ascertain beforehand (preferably in writing) the following:

  • Type of accommodation;
  • What is provided and should the hunter provide (eg bedding, etc);
  • Food arrangements: (self-catering or catered for);
  • Times of arrival and departure
  • Price (incl or excl VAT?).
  • Will there be other groups hunting on the farm at the same time.
  • Always ask if there is a gun safe available.
  • Facilities available: –
    • Slaughtering area with gantry
    • Facilities to wash carcasses
    • Cold room or hanging facilities
Times Specify the check-in and check-out times with hunter when he books. All hunters must adhere to the landowner’s rules regarding check-in and check-out times. Ascertain this beforehand.
Bird Hunting This is a specialized form of hunting and the following details must be clearly defined by the landowner and understood by the hunter:

  • Birds that may be hunted;
  • Financial Arrangements – cash per bird or cost per hunt;
  • Bag limit of particular species and period for hunt;
  • Distribution of bag;
  • Recovering of wounded birds;
  • Water-fowl: recovering of birds in water;
  • If birds are driven, arrangements and plan;
  • Positioning with both driven and over-water shoots.

Consideration should be given to cover more than one dam if possible on waterfowl shoots, in an effort to keep the birds in flight.

When hunting with dogs, particular aspects to be followed.

Animals to be Hunted Farmer or landowner must be in possession of relevant permit for animals to be hunted, including animals listed under TOPS regulations. Refer to section re licences/permits. Hunter must be in possession of the relevant game license before hunting takes place.Hunter should request permit number from farmer.
The following must be clearly defined by the farmer/landowner and understood by the hunter in writing if possible.:

  • Species to be hunted, eg Bushbuck and Duiker;
  • Species that may not be hunted, eg mountain reedbuck, etc.;
  • Sex of animals that can be hunted;
  • Penalty applicable if wrong sex is shot
  • Penalty applicable if wrong species is shot
  • Number of animals to be hunted, eg 4 Reedbuck, 2 Males and 2 Females, etc;
  • Age of animals to be hunted;
  • Minimum caliber allowable.
Trophy Animals Clearly define trophy as per size, as well as the price.KZNH&C Assn. recommends the use of Rowland Ward. It is the hunter’s responsibility to determine whether the animal he hunts is a trophy size. Any animals shot must be paid for at the agreed priceEstablish whether price for the trophy animal includes the meat.


Check In Inform the hunter in advance where and with whom he needs to check in. The hunter must check in with the land owner or manager before hunting. Make prior arrangements as to whom to contact on arrival and departure.
Proof of ID and membership of KZN H&C Assn. Unless known to the farmer, the hunter must be able to present proof of identification and membership of our Association.
Definition of Hunting Area Define the area in which hunting may be conducted. It is often wise to inform your neighbours that hunters will be present on the land. There must be no confusion regarding: Ensure that you are fully informed regarding the hunting area.Respect the landowners rules and wishes regarding:
  • Farm boundaries;
  • Preferred direction of firing;
  • Areas where employees are working, residing or likely to be traveling;
  • Roads to be used;
  • Driving of vehicles in areas other than on existing roads;
  • Where fires may be made;
  • Is smoking allowed in hunting area?
Game Guard / Tracker
  • No first hunts should be undertaken on a farm without the hunter being accompanied by a representative of the farmer or landowner.
  • Clearly define the game guard/trackers duties to the hunter.
  • Clearly define whether farm labourers can be given alcohol after the hunt.
  • Where possible there should be a tracker per hunter available.
The hunter should ascertain from the landowner the following:

  • Tips (is there a ceiling on the amount to be tipped?)
  • Is payment made to landowner or game guard / tracker?
  • Does the hunter supply him with food and drinks?
  • May he assist at end of the hunt with skinning, gutting and loading of meat?

e) Check with the farmer before arrival on number of trackers available.

Procedures regarding wounded animals An animal is classified as wounded where blood drops or stains, bone fragments or tissue is found.Landowner and hunter need to clarify the following before the hunt:

  • In the event of a shot being fired at animal, every effort must be made to determine beyond all reasonable doubt whether in fact this animal has been wounded or not;
  • Hunting by all hunters in attendance must stop until a wounded animal is located; (Ethically it should happen, it is not always practical)
  • Procedure regarding recovery of wounded animals on neighbouring property;
  • Wounded animals – should they be paid for in full?
  • Is there a charge per shot fired and missed?

f) What is the ruling if the hunter shoots an animal that has previously been wounded.

Sighting of rifles: There should be a safe area designated with either 50m or 100m where firing can take place. It is helpful if a target (eg cardboard box) and some rest for the rifle (eg bench, tree trunk, sandbag, etc.) is available. Sighting of a rifle prior to a hunt is a MUST.Ensure that the landowner/manager is satisfied with the performance of your rifle and has confidence in your ability to effectively use your rifle.
Hazards on the farm and general information The landowner/manager must brief the hunter regarding the following:Hazards, eg ravines, rivers;

Fire hazards, eg forest areas (is smoking permitted whilst hunting?)

Electric fences;

Situation of water pipes (to prevent driving over them);


Bushpig etc.,

General information that the hunter should know:

Does the landowner want him to shoot problem animals, eg jackal, etc.;

Should the hunter shoot previously injured or wounded game seen while hunting? If this happens, does the hunter pay for the animal?

Checking Out Please complete and sign the attached form, “Permission to hunt and transport venison” to ensure that the hunter won’t experience any problems with authorities whilst transporting the meat home.If there are veterinary restrictions on transportation of meat in your area, please inform the hunter as such. Ensure that you check out on time and fulfill all your commitments (eg payment, etc.). Leave only your tracks behind.Have your “Permission to Hunt” form signed by the farmer.

Check on veterinary restrictions on transporting meat within the province or from one province to another.


Hunting Hours According to the KZN Ordinance, hunting may only take place between half an hour before sunrise and half an hour after sunset.
Fires and litter Managers/landowners are requested to emphasize that littering is not allowed. Hunters should ensure that all disposable items including shotgun and rifle cartridge cases and doppies, are retained for disposal on return to the homestead.
Use of Alcohol KZNH&C Assn. is strongly opposed to the consumption of alcohol while hunting.
Service by Hunter Hunters can provide a useful service by providing the farmer with information regarding his animals, the veld conditions. Etc. If the farmer has any specific problems eg snaring or game population statistics, the hunter can certainly help in this regard.


Open Game (Blesbuck and Springbuck): No license needed.

An Ordinary game License applies during the hunting season only, 31 May – 31 August at a cost of R8,00 (Any of these species hunted out of the season, will require a Special License)

African Quail Coqui Francolin Egyptian Goose Impala
Red Francolin Shelley’s Francolin White-faced whistling duck Bushbuck male
Crested Francolin Grey Duiker Natal Francolin Red-bill Teal
Spurwing Goose Yellow-bill duck Crowned Guineafowl Greywing Francolin
Ramron Pigeon Red-necked Francolin Swainson’s Francolin

Protected Licences apply during the whole year and are valid for 1 month. A license is purchased per species of animals you wish to hunt.

African Pochard R2.00 African Sheldduck R2.00 Black Duck R2.00
Blue Duiker R24.00 Blue Wildebeest R12.00 Buffalo R60.00
Bush Baby R7.00 Bushbuck, female R5.00 Cape Shoveler R2.00
Crested Guineafowl R3.00 Eland R24.00 Fulvous Whistling Duck R2.00
Grey Rhebuck R18.00 Hippopotamus R120.00 Hottentot Teal R2.00
Knob-bill Duck R2.00 Kudu R18.00 Livingstone Antelope (Suni) R24.00
Maccoa Duck R2.00 Mtn Reedbuck R12.00 Nyala R18.00
Oribi (endangered) R24.00 Pygmy Goose R2.00 Red Duiker R24.00
Redhartebeest R24.00 Samango Monkey R7.00 Sable Antelope R12.00
Warthog R7.00 Steenbuck R12.00 Whitebacked Duck R2.00
Waterbuck R18.00 Zebra R12.00

All the above licenses may be purchased from the Association Offices.

Note: Some species that we issued protected licences for, (e.g. Common Reedbuck, Black Wildebeest and Oribi) now fall under the “Threatened and/or protected species regulations” protected by national legislation.

Threatened and/or protected species regulations

A list of all species falling under these regulations is published on our website. Please ensure status of any animals not listed. When booking your hunting trip, it would be worthwhile ascertaining in advance whether the landowner has the necessary permits in terms of these regulations. The game farmers can register if they want to (it is not compulsory), but it is quite expensive for them if they only want to hunt a few reedbuck per year for their own purpose (R2000.00 in total for the registration and standing permit). Therefore it is very possible that game farm owners who do not cater for foreign hunters, will choose not to register.

Individual TOPS hunting permits are R100.00 per permit, which allows for the transporting of the meat/skull & skin/carcass and temporary keeping of the products after the hunt. This is convenient for local hunters, as 1 permit is needed to hunt, transport and temporary keep the products.


Hunting on private land is a privilege and hunters are expected to show respect at all times for the Landowners and his staff, the Farmer’s property and the animals and birds hunted.

The KwaZulu-Natal Hunting and Conservation Association supports:


Importation of Game into KZN.

Section 23 of the KZN Ordinance states as follows:

“No person shall import into the Province of Natal any game, excluding biltong, manufactured under veterinary supervision by the National Parks Board of Trustees, without a written permit granted to him by the board with the prior approval of the Administrator (of KZN); provided that any such permit shall be granted only subject to the production by the applicant to the Board of a permit granted to him by the Division of Veterinary Services or other officer of the government having authority to grant same.”

The legal office of Ezemvelo were asked for an interpretation of this rule in the case of a KZN hunter bringing in or home the proceeds of game shot legally in another province which happens hundreds of times a year. The answer is that if a person imports game into KZN without the necessary permits as outlined in the Ordinance and gets caught, he/she will in all likelihood be charged. If convicted, the person stands a chance of being declared unfit to possess a firearm and will lose all their weapons.

Make sure you are in possession of a “Permission to hunt Venison” document, copy of which is on the reverse side of this document. indicating the farmers permit number, his details and signature. This document is also obtained from the Office of KZN Hunting & Cons. Assn.

By extension, something very similar governs the exportation of game from KZN and many hunters from other provinces could be caught in the same dilemma.

Make sure you are fully aufait with the KZN Ordinance.

© 2022 KZN Hunting. All Rights Reserved.| Privacy Policy |
Website by The Fire Tree Design Company